Friday, November 11, 2011

Poetry Creation


     This piece is a haiku poem that I wrote about the Holy Trinity Student Parish. The picture that the poem is on is a picture I took for the second long essay and is a picture of the outside of the parish. The picture was taken at a particular time of day and includes sun spots that helped give the picture a spiritual sense. The poem reads "Many diverse folk/ Welcoming community; Live Charitable." The poem and the picture both hopefully invoke a favorable image of the community.

     I altered the genre to fit my own purposes by making it about my community. Most haikus are written about nature referring to the universe and things like flowers, but instead I decided to take a play on the word and write about the nature of my community. However, I did not change the structure of the poem. I incorporated the format of the poem by making it three lines, unrhymed, and seventeen syllables all together (five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line, and five syllables in third line). All three lines of the poem describe a different aspect of my community.

     The targeted audience is anyone that either likes reading haikus, or someone that would like to have a very brief description of the Holy Trinity Student Parish summed up in just seventeen syllables. As discussed before haikus are simple to understand which makes allows them to target a large variety of people. However, this particular piece would probably be more specifically targed towards religious people or anyone that happens to come across this blog.

     I incorporated aspects of my community by including the three things that probably stuck out most to me during my observations and recording of field notes which were the diversity in the community, how welcoming they were, and how the members of the community were very charitable. I included this information because I think it was probably the best way to describe the nature of the community and did not have many words to describe it in. In this piece I also included a picture of the parish that was part of the second long essay submission packet.

     With the length of haiku poetry there were many things I had to exclude. Overall, I had to exclude my research, my interviews, and the majority of my field notes. I chose to exclude them because they did not fit in very well with particular genre and they contained too much information to put into a mere seventeen syllables. Although there were many things excluded, I am happy with the how this particular genre helped portray the parish community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment